Mittwoch, 24. November 2021

23 - Ode to Pandora

 


A tribute to Sue Townsend.
Thanks for all the laughs!

23 - Ode to Pandora

With all my heart I yearn for thee,
you got me gagged, locked up, unkissed,
if this’s as close as we can get,
I hope the key does not exist.

Your treacle hair and gold sunshine,
you feed your pony hay and weeds,
to me your breasts are just divine,
I am a slave to earthly needs.

    Pandora you inspire me,
    but you love Nigel, just my luck.
    Love is hard and life's a mystery,
    without rhyme
    I 'd be a poor raving loony by now

Poor Mr. Lucas lives next door,
he seems unloved but there is more
I saw his filthy magazines,
now you're big 'n' bouncy in my dreams.

Benson 'n'  Hedges, I don’t care,
as long as I may comb your hair.
You ride Blossom with a saddle,
I’m the stove and you’re the kettle.

    Oh Pandora you’re my fantasy,
    but will my aches ever be healed?
    I send my poems to the BBC,
    I guess my genius is soon
    going to be revealed.

Sabre’s nuts and Bert’s dead old,
one day he’ll kill me but I'll stay bold.
Wear my red socks with pride for you,
measure my thing do-woop-di-doo.

        I went from measuring my thing to my bald spot
        fathered three children, married twice
        moved from a lodge in rat wharf down to a pigsty
        awaiting wheelchair ramps and death -
        life is a mystery to me (just my luck).

Gone are the days when I asked why,
Nigel’s blind and I am bald
My craving thee I pay the fee,
the fate of intellectuals like me.

You are my eternal flame,
to keep it burning is no shame.
My desire is still strong,
my chance was gone in ‘81

    Pandora you inspire me,
    my ink flows from my bleeding heart
    I will preserve you for eternity,
    ‘cause you’ll live on in your poor,
    humble poet’s art.